Leadership Tip of the Month: Systematically Evaluating Alternatives
|To make a complex decision, ask questions to determine where you are now – and the best path to follow. Customize and expand upon questions like these to systematically weigh your options:
1) Who must weigh in? What are their perspectives, issues, pain points and motivations?
2) What are the limiting factors (e.g., time, money, technology, process bottlenecks, expertise)?
3) Whom will this decision impact?
4) What’s at stake (i.e., what if you make the wrong decision – or do nothing)?
5) What will likely happen if you do “A,” “B” or “C”?
6) How will you define and measure the success of this decision?